Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our School Year Begins...


IMG_4472 copy

... and with a bang.  We kicked off our first day of school yesterday here at home.  It was a long, but good day.  As usual, I was too scheduled.  I need routines, not schedules, yet I constantly make schedules for myself for some reason. Fortunately, I recognize this in myself quickly these days and already adjusted.  Today was more laid back and we had fun getting into our new curriculum. If you stop by our house these days, there is a good chance you will see books piled high on the coffee table.

Since a few have asked what we are using this year for curriculum, here is a list below.  While I consider this our family's curriculum, these are basically for Cole. Our younger two are invited to participate as much as they want.  Our choices were made through prayer and lots of research, and they are primarily influenced by the wonderful curriculum guide at simplycharlottemason.com .


We are also doing Hymn/Worship Study, Poetry, Composer Study, Artist Study, Personal Development, Scripture Memory, and an introduction to Spanish, but I'm using various sources for these and not a set curriculum.

I am already excited about Jason getting involved. We are doing our Bible/History time before he heads to work in the morning. It is one of the beauties of homeschooling. Here's a little peek into this morning,


IMG_4468



4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome!! We started Math-U-See Alpha last week as well as My Father's Dragon - what a CUTE story! Love it! I'll be posting on the blog this week all the details of what we're doing. I hope it's a great first week! I'm really enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to love Mr. Popper's Penguins, and if it's not already scheduled, Trumpet of the Swan is also a really sweet book. I'm so jealous that you have Handbook of Nature Study! I can't even find one at the library here! I'm glad to have a CM friend...even if you are far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Just stopped by to say we r all girls and Daddy is the only boy! We also enjoy CM teachings..
    Hope u have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete