Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Music Speaks to the Soul

On Sunday, Jason gave some challenges at church. One was to try listening to only Christian music for the next month. Well, I rarely listen to anything else, but I realized a few months ago that most of time I'm not truly listening. I am even singing along, but not really hearing what the words are saying. In the Beth Moore study on Psalms I just did, she talked one week about the affect music has on us, that is speaks to our soul. So, for the last month or so I have really been paying attention to the words of the songs I hear. I've re-discovered that most Christian music is good and much of it is AWESOME.

As I've been truly listening and contemplating the lyrics, it really does impact me and my attitude. In fact, there are a few of those awesome songs that have caused me to search God's word and spend some time in prayer. Also, as I spend more time in my Bible and listening to these lyrics, these are things filling my mind, which reminds me of Philippians 4:8, which says, "Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."

There are several incredible songs rolling through my mind, but there is one that has really struck me. It's What Do I Know of Holy by Addison Road. If you haven't heard this song, here is a YouTube video with the lyrics,

2 comments:

  1. Oh it really really does speak to the soul...love it! Great post! And this song is one of my favorites...if I ever need a good does of humility (often), I listen to this. Brings me right to my knees. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could come to your church!

    Lately, I have been listening to Meredith Andrew's CD. The words have brought me to tears more than once.

    Hi Tara! It's Kendra from HP (luvsasoldier). I really have missed you girls. Finding all these blogs has been fun.

    ReplyDelete