Monday, January 10, 2011

Bible Reading, Busyness, & Distractions

As I mentioned last week, I started reading through the Bible in 90 days. It has already been an incredible and eye-opening experience. I have a friend who does this once a year and spends the other 9 months of the year studying specific texts more deeply through various studies. I will admit I first thought it a little crazy, but no longer and I'm only a week into this.

I'm amazed at the things I'm learning and the verses that jump out at me which I don't remember noticing before. I was worried I would feel like I was chugging so much information that I couldn't process it but it's simply a different learning experience. While I may not be studying each passage or story in depth, I am seeing how stories relate to each other and the repetition of certain things (which I think if God's repeats it, I'd better really pay attention).

The other thing I've definitely seen is how much Satan does NOT want us in God's word. I've had a couple of people ask me how do I have the time to read that much (it's about an hour a day if you're wondering). Time is a funny thing. We often complain we don't have enough and I completely understand this sentiment. I think I said it myself today. But once I really looked at how I spent my time, it's no wonder I constantly felt like I was beating my head against the wall when it came to my relationship with God. I wasn't giving Him a priority in my time. Through the Holy Spirit's conviction, I took an honest look at how much time I spent watching TV, on the internet, reading other things, some times sleeping, and most of all just plain busyness. The things that often fill my time are not "bad" things, but they are not God things. It's not like I've suddenly freed up loads of time, but I have been more purposeful with my time. I'm probably rambling at this point. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to spend the time I'm given.

Something I have to remind myself daily is that we have made Satan's job very easy these days in that all he has to do is keep us busy or distract us from the good things of God to keep us from growing in Christ.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really intrigued by this. I thought I was doing good to get through the Bible in a year...so 90 days seems REALLY daunting to me. Do you mind continuing to post about this? I'm really curious about this and the resulting spiritual journey. But only if you want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something I want to check out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great word, Hope! I'm all about simplifying, especially where my time is concerned. When you have more time for reading, I highly recommend The Rewards of Simplicity by Chuck and Pam Pierce. It does talk about practical ways of simplifying, especially your time, but what I have enjoyed is how it explains the spiritual discipline of simplicity. Really good book!

    ReplyDelete