Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mini Meatloaves were a BIG hit last night

Mini meatloavesIt's not often that I can say everyone in my house cleaned their plates, but last night's dinner was a big hit.  I made mini meatloaves (or 'big meatballs" as Cole called them).  As usual, I looked at a few recipes and then started cooking without writing down what I did.  Since these were received so warmly, I decided I better try to remember what I did so I could make these again one day.  So here goes...

Mini Meatloaves

1 egg

1 cup milk

2/3 cup oats (old fashioned or quick ones work)

1 cup grated Cheddar Jack cheese (use whatever cheese you have on hand here)

1 carrot, grated (I used my micro plainer for so it was very fine)

1/2 onion, finely diced or grated

1 garlic clove, minced

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef

Glaze:

1 cup ketchup

1 tbsp yellow mustard

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tsp Worcestershire

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp lemon juice

Preheat your oven to 350 F.  Lightly grease or spray a muffin pan.

In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat your egg.  Then, pour in the oats, milk, cheese, carrots, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Mix together and let sit for 5-10 minutes so the oats soak up some of the liquid. Next add in the ground beef.  You're going to have get your hands in there and mix it up really good. Once it's all mixed together, form the meat into 12 balls and put them into your muffin pan.  They should fill the muffin cups.  Put them in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

While the meatloaves are cooking, mix together your glaze.  Stir ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire, onion powder, and lemon juice.  Once your meat has cooked for 30 minutes, spoon some glaze on each loaf.  Then, return to the oven for 15 more minutes.

Inspired by this recipe, Mini Meatloves, at allrecipes.com

Please keep in mind I rarely measure anything unless I am baking, so I don't think you can really mess these up.  I made Mashed Potatoes and Maple Dill Carrots (this is the best carrot recipe ever) with them.  I tried something new with the potatoes too.  A few weeks ago, I made Pioneer Woman's Creamy Mashed Potatoes and they are scrumptious, but I wanted to lighten it up a little. I used Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese, lowfat milk instead of cream, and a little less butter.  They were so yummy!

Greek yogurt is a new friend to me. It's a great substitute for sour cream or cream cheese in recipes.  I can't seem to find it at our local grocery store.  I get it at Natural Grocers in Amarillo, which is my new favorite store as we are trying to eat organic and natural (basically no chemicals).

For dessert, the boys had plain yogurt with blueberries and honey.  They love this! I like it because it's healthy, cheap, and easy.



No comments:

Post a Comment