Sunday, June 6, 2010

Going to Church Versus Going to Worship

Early this past week, I started reading a book entitled Parenting in the Pew by Robbie Castleman. I'm about halfway through the book and so far it's absolutely fantastic. I am so glad some wonderful friends recommended this to me.


What has really stuck with more than any parenting issue from this book is something the author brought up early on.  The author asks "Are you going to church or are you going to worship?" I've been involved in church my entire life.  On Sundays, I know where I am going to be (of course, being married to a minister leaves even less wiggle room here ;) ), and I can honestly say that there are many times where I simply "go to church."  See going to church means it's something we are checking off our list for the week.  We go because it's the right thing to do or it's what we've always done.  We may enjoy going, enjoy the break from life, but if we are simply going to church most likely it's about us.  But worship is not about us.  It's about God.


Mrs. Castleman says it better than I ever can.


Worship is not a refueling to get us through another week. Worship is not a system of traditions built up over many years of congregational life until everyone feels comfortable.  Worship is not a time to unwind, relax, tune out or take a mental vacation.


Worship is not an hour of Christian entertainment.  It is not what makes us good people, faithful  Christians or successful parents.Worship is a surrender of our souls to God who is jealous for our attention, time, and love.  Worship is a challenge. (p.24)


The challenge of worship is to sense yourself more fully in God's presence, to sit at the feet of Jesus with the people of God, to anoint His head with the "oil of joy" (Hebrews 1:9), to bring Him a"sacrifice of praise" (Hebrews 13:15).  Worship means that for a time all else is set aside to be with Jesus, the Bridegroom of the church -- to be together with Him.  To be alive in His presence! (p.29)


Well, if that's the difference between going to church and going to worship, I want to go to worship. I know we use the two terms interchangeably most of the time and don't necessarily mean anything about it, but I think I might just start using "going to worship" for our Sunday mornings. It's so easy to get into the habit of Sundays mornings and to go through the motions.  As I type this early on a Sunday myself, I pray that I am more intentional about this day. We have the privilege to worship God every day of the week and are called to do so, but there's something special about Sundays when we can worship together with our brothers and sisters in Christ to give glory to our Almighty, Righteous, Glorious, Awesome, Risen King!





3 comments:

  1. I've started reading this book too - in reaction to a suggestion that kids should be removed from the "adult" worship services and go to one of their own. It's making me even more intentional on how we think about church and prepare on Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about half way through the book as well, and am really being convicted of attending church more than worshipping. This summer, children's church will be sporadic, as my two will most likely be the only ones attending and I'm really looking forward to trying to practise some of the ideas presented in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great word, Hope. I know I'm about a week late in reading it, but it's inspiring and convicting at the same time. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete